Select Page

1912 Postcard of The Scottish Rite Temple

Originally built in 1851 as The First Methodist Church, South, the building was purchased by the Freemasons and converted to The Scottish Rite Temple in 1905. The Temple was used for the Shriners’ Imperial Council meetings in the spring of 1910 when 35,000 Shiners came to New Orleans to celebrate their annual convention. The venue is located at 619 Carondelet Street in the booming South Market District.